Students will demonstrate the basic steps of the traditional polka.
- Traditional polka music
- Online clip of traditional German polka
Explain that from the years 1892 to 1954 a large number of immigrants traveled to the United States.
Many of those immigrants were German. Explain that they will be learning how to dance the traditional polka. Many immigrants continued to keep the traditions and customs of their original countries to continue their heritage.
Play polka music and discuss where they may have heard that music before.
Show the students a clip of dancers performing a traditional polka.
Divide students into pairs and demonstrate the steps of the polka.
Allow students to practice the steps with the music.
- Stand with your weight on your right foot.
- Hop with the right foot.
- Step forward with your left foot.
- Bring the right foot to the left placing weight on the right foot.
- Step with the left foot.
- Hold for one beat making sure weight is on the left foot.
- Repeat the steps with the opposite foot.
Use this basic step to move in any direction on counts of 4.
Observe students to determine their understanding of the dance steps.